Pop Art Penguin
There isn’t really a lot of explanation needed for my latest Art Quilts Around The World challenge quilt! It is what it is – a Pop Art Penguin. Why a penguin? Well simply that I have a love of these characterful creatures, they always make me smile. The design for this one is based on a photograph I took whilst on a birthday trip to a local bird world last year. The design for the background flash and stripes was adapted from an image called “Pop! Goes the Mouse – Mickey Mouse” by Carlton & Reis.
My quilt is made entirely using appliqué techniques – invisible machine appliqué (for the stripes), reverse appliqué (for the flash shapes) and bonded appliqué (for the penguin). Raw edges on the flash have been stitched down using a small blanket stitch and a fine zig-zag was used on the penguin himself.
Cogs & Bees
The theme for my latest ‘Art Quilts Around the World Group‘ quilt was “Steampunk”
I had great plans to design a fantastical creature but got sidetracked by the wonderful shapes that cogs create! I already owned a selection of MDF ply cog shapes which I used to gelli print the background fabric. Next I had fun creating some ‘rusty’ cogs from thick Vilene and acrylic paints – these are stitched on such that they have a loose outside edge. Then came the addition of some of the smaller ply cogs and a few metal ones I found in a drawer. In that same drawer were some old keys and angel wings (isn’t it amazing what stuff we keep ‘just in case’?!) which for some unknown reason I was inspired to make little bees from. For a quilt which simply ‘developed’ as I went along I am quite pleased with the result.
Mary, Mary, quite contrary
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockle shells
And pretty maids all in a row.
The theme for the latest ‘Art Quilts Around the World Group‘ challenge was ‘Nursery Rhymes’. For my quilt I decided to ‘ignore’ the darker side of this nursery rhyme (you can read all about this in Sue Zimet’s post) and take the words of poem quite literally.
It was the word ‘contrary’ which caught my attention i.e. ‘opposite in nature, direction or meaning’. Behind the garden wall, Mary, whom I view as a young girl, perhaps of teenage years, shows her spiky, disorganised ‘other’ self.
Techniques used: Image manipulation and printing, rubber stamping and Inktense pencils, appliqué, fabric painting, stencilling, foiling (silver bells), machine quilting.
You can see the other group members’ quilts here.
I have recently joined the ‘Art Quilts Around the World Group‘ and this is my first challenge quilt (A3 size). The given theme was “The Eyes Have It” and so my starting point was the saying “Eyes are the Windows to the Soul”.
When we go away on holiday I take lots of photographs of architectural details and in particular windows and doors, the older and more decrepit the better. I often wonder just what stories these faded, crumbling relicts have ‘seen’ and could tell us about if they could communicate.
By overlaying and manipulating photographs with a sketch of some eyes I created an interesting computer montage of a window. The image was then printed onto transfer paper, the window cut out and applied to a commercial quilting fabric, trapping strips of frayed muslin in the process. Finally I added washes of colour and stencilled ‘peeling paint’ shapes to give the impression of an aged door. Machine quilting and embroidery stitches add interest and definition.